Classroom Request Form for Semester-Long KU Courses
If you are a KU instructor interested in using one of Spencer Research Library's three seminar rooms as a regular classroom for a semester-long course, please review the following information and complete and submit the form below. (Instructors seeking to schedule a smaller number of library visits for their classes should contact Caitlin Donnelly Klepper, Head of Public Services, at email@example.com or 785-864-4456.)
- The use of Spencer classrooms for a full semester is limited to courses in which Spencer collection materials will be utilized in the classroom during class sessions throughout the semester.
- Reservations are handled on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend that you submit your request as early as possible.
- Rooms 326 and 327 are each furnished with a large rectangular conference table that can accommodate sixteen or twelve people, respectively. The Johnson Room can accommodate up to thirty people around six rectangular tables in a u-shaped arrangement. None of the tables in the classrooms can be moved or rearranged.
- Each classroom has a computer with a large projection screen or wall-mounted monitor and an Internet connection. Instructors are welcome to bring and use personal laptops or thumb drives. There are a limited number of outlets in each classroom, so we recommend that instructors and students using personal laptops bring fully-charged batteries. Only the Johnson Room has DVD and VCR players. A dry-erase whiteboard is available upon request.
- Spencer staff members are available to meet with instructors before the semester begins and review the technology in the classroom they will be using. Staff can provide limited technical support throughout the semester. We can work with IT to resolve more complex problems, although this process may take some time, as Spencer does not have IT staff on site.
- A Spencer staff member will greet the class at its initial meeting and spend five to ten minutes welcoming the group, providing an overview of the library’s rules, and answering questions. Please let us know if you would also like us to provide more thorough information about Spencer (i.e. background, collections, and services) and/or a tour of the library's public spaces (Reading Room, Exhibit Space, and North Gallery) at the first class meeting or at a later time in the semester.
- Students attending class at Spencer Research Library are expected to follow - and instructors are expected to enforce - the guidelines for using library collections. Students need to place their personal items in library lockers during every class meeting, even when collection materials are not in use.
- A Spencer staff member will follow up with the requestor after receiving this completed form, granting or denying permission. Please do not consider a room reserved until you have received verification.
For additional information about Spencer's classrooms, please contact Caitlin Donnelly Klepper, Head of Public Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-4456.